Thursday, October 2, 2008

Testimony

Daniel Hoeppner
I was born into a non-religious home, without the Bible or any type of faith. My parents were just trying to live the best life they knew how to in their own eyes. My dad was heavily in to cocaine and his business led him overseas where everything fell apart. While he was in Thailand, he slept around with women and my mom was fully aware of it. When my dad was on a business trip, my mom left him with my three brothers and I, and we headed from southern California to northern California where my grandparents lived.
I went to a public elementary school and lived life to have fun and get friends. Cursing was introduced to me and because I thought I was cool and I did it often. While in elementary school, this guy began coming around the house and started staying the night. Then one day…BAM, I had another brother. That’s when my mom’s boyfriend moved in. There were times when he was really cool and he would buy and give me stuff that I wanted. Then other times I really didn’t like him at all. I loved seeing my dad every time we got the chance to visit though. He was chill, never told me what to do, and taught me stuff like how to ride a motorcycle and drive a car. My dad had a girlfriend, and we hung around her family quite a bit. She had a son that was my age which was a bonus for me. But all their family did was argue, fight and yell. It was so hectic all the time. My dad continued to use cocaine and shared the habit with his girlfriend. At this point, I was really confused about life. I had no idea about the meaning of life or where you went after death. It was just taught to be the best person you can be and to be as successful as possible.
For junior high, my mom put my brothers and I in a private Christian school by our house because she was worried about the atmosphere of the public schools. It was just to protect us from bad influence. As a requirement at the school, I began to read and learn about the bible which I had never done before. I read verses in school like Romans 3:23 that says, “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” I soon learned that everyone is a sinner and that no one is perfect. The church my classmates went to on Sundays was a part of the school I went to. I began attending the same church. Almost every day, the Bible was either read to me or I read it for school. I knew that I did bad things but never thought I was a bad person. In Romans 6:23 it says, “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” I realized that the penalty for my sin is death. The first verse I memorized in school was John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” This was the first time I had ever known that Jesus paid the penalty for my sins and He took my place so I could have eternal life. One Sunday morning at church, the pastor asked anyone who wanted to put their trust in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ to come to the front. With a few other kids, I boldly went up to the front and accepted Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior through a prayer. It went something like this, “God I realize I am a sinner. I want forgiveness of all my sins in the past, in the present, and in the future. I believe that Jesus died on the cross in my place and rose from the dead. I want you to be in control of my life. I accept your free gift of salvation.” Although I knew I was forgiven and that I was going to Heaven, my life didn’t really change. I still hung around the same friends that were just like me and didn’t want to get serious about living for Christ. I still wanted some control.
As I was in this Christian private school, something really crazy yet amazing happened. My dad went to jail for a couple of days after he was pulled over for a tail light that was out and had a warrant out for his arrest for missing some court appearances. While searching his car, the police found cocaine in it. After he got out of jail, he had a court order to attend a recovery group. Through many circumstances and someone explaining the Gospel to him for the first time, he received Jesus Christ as his Savior and was sobered. Around the same time, my mom also received Jesus Christ as her Savior at a weekend service at our church. I started seeing God actually work in my life. I saw change in both of them which I had never seen before. My dad broke up with his girlfriend. My mom broke up with her boyfriend. My dad attended a winter retreat at the church he went to. The speaker was speaking on family and marriage. He called us after he got back saying that he was going to remarry my mom. That was the greatest and craziest thing I had ever heard in my life. But my mom thought my dad was crazy. Eventually, she came around and they remarried right before my freshman year of high school.
I knew my life wasn’t the way God wanted it and that I wasn’t surrendering my whole life to His plan. On the same day as my parents wedding, I was baptized and rededicated my life to Jesus Christ. I know I can never earn my way to Heaven or become perfect one day, but I surrender my plans and my life and realize my life is not mine anymore. I now have faith in knowing I have a purpose for living. I wouldn’t be who I am today without Jesus Christ in my life because he has made all the difference.
In this season of my life, God has opened opportunities to lead me to New Tribes Bible Institute in Jackson, MI. I am learning and growing in God’s Word everyday and am solidifying my foundation and worldview in His Word. I will be attending NTBI for three more semesters, and I am planning on going to further missions training with New Tribes after.
Each semester here at NTBI costs $4150 without including books and supplies. Through prayer and many generous contributions, I made it into the first semester on their deposit / monthly installment program. The monthly payments are $450.00. They are due on the 1st of each month. I am looking for prayer and financial partners to help me through this education. Please consider what you can contribute.

2 Cor. 9:13-15 (NIV)
Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, men will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else. And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you. Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!

The Lord willing, I will complete 2 years of Bible studies and then do further missions training and be well prepared to reach the unreached for Jesus Christ. I have committed my time and effort for this purpose in my life.

Matthew 28:18-20 (NIV)
Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Acts 1:7-8 (NIV)
He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

Please write or call if you have any questions or concerns for me or NTBI.

Email- dan_hoeppner@yahoo.com
Cell- 925-518-2448
Danatnewtribes.blogspot.com
1210 E. Michigan Ave.
Jackson, MI 49201

For His Glory,
Daniel Hoeppner

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you did such a great job on this. you are so awesome and your love for God is so apparent. EVERYWHERE and in everything you do. you live a life full of patience and purpose and love. and i love you!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.